As a single-layer, polyolefin-based material, Teslin substrate is in a category of its own among synthetic papers and printable plastics because it is engineered with a microporous matrix that allows it to absorb and create strong interlocking bonds with inks, adhesives, coatings and laminating films.
In addition to making Teslin substrate breathable and lightweight, microporosity also enables it to combine insulation, cushioning and other exclusive performance benefits in a way that no other synthetic substrate can equal.
Harsh environments and punishing applications are no match for Teslin substrate. Compare these performance benefits with other synthetic papers and printable plastics:
- Resists abrasion and safeguards printed text and graphics from distortion, laminates or protective coatings.
- Withstands exposure to water and chemicals, including steam-pressing, dry-cleaning and gamma irradiation. Other synthetic substrates require a coating or other processing to accomplish what Teslin substrate does without enhancement.
- Remains pliable in temperatures from -70°C/-94°F to 180°C/356°F, even during long periods of exposure or rapid environmental change. Other synthetic substrates can become brittle in low temperatures or melt in high temperatures.
Compatible with a broad range of print technologies and able to reproduce crisp, vibrant color, Teslin substrate is ideal for applications that demand high levels of processing flexibility. Teslin substrate:
- Prints like conventional pulp paper so it does not demand special inks or drying equipment. Other synthetic papers typically require special oxidizing inks and long dry-times, which increases expense and lowers productivity.
- Absorbs inks and toners and bonds them to its surface almost instantly, which results in quick dry-times and nearly indestructible printed text and graphics. Compared to other synthetics, it also enables faster processing and throughput to increase print productivity.
- Enables printers to inventory one grade of Teslin substrate because it performs well across a broad range of printing technologies. This reduces the number of SKUs and the amount of capital invested in unused inventory.
- Can be duplex- and dual-surface printed with high-quality graphics, digital photos, bar codes and micro-text, making it ideal for variable print projects.
- Accommodates a variety of converting methods and finishing techniques for greater design flexibility and creativity.
Teslin substrate bonds to laminating films and adhesives to provide multi-dimensional strength and extended service life for laminated print products. Printers and end-users that invest in lamination will not find another synthetic material that offers the same durability, lifespan and manufacturing flexibility as Teslin substrate. Teslin substrate:
- Forms adhesive bonds that are up to 10 times stronger than other synthetic substrates.
- Can easily be die-cut to any shape.
- Bonds with laminate film so edge-seals are not required.
Inherently tamper-evident, Teslin substrate synthetic paper is the preferred high-performance material for security applications such as identification cards and credentials, brand protection labels, and smart cards and RFID tags. Teslin substrate:
- Absorbs inks and toners into its surface, locking in printed text and graphics and making them nearly indestructible.
- Resists mechanical separation and permanently distorts when the strong adhesive bond it forms with other materials is altered or broken.
- Offers optional customizable security features for advanced security programs.
- Provides valuable cushioning to protect embedded components in electronic labels or credentials.
- Exhibits lower dielectric constant, emits minimal particulates when flexed and is more static-dissipative than other synthetic security papers and printable plastics.